Hey everyone! Today I’m coming at you with a post all about How to Style Your Shelves! You wouldn’t think that there’s a method to styling shelves, but there is if you want them to look nice haha.
If you want your shelves/bookcase to look well-rounded, it’s important to include five types of objects:
Fun Stuff (Objects of Interest)
Books (obviously, if you have a bookshelf LOL)
1. Despite the “Candle” label–just know that you can swap those out with larger accessories such as glassware/vases/fine china. That kind of thing. As long as you balance out the shelf with smaller accessories (such as my little unicorns that are sprinkled throughout the shelf), it’ll look really cool!
2. Art/Pictures are crucial to create a personalized shelf! They’re nice to look at it and incorporate so much color and life into an otherwise plain shelf. If I didn’t incorporate some of my art prints–the shelf would look a little empty. Especially because I don’t have a ton of “aesthetically pleasing” books to display.
3. FUN STUFF is the best kind of stuff. I’m a bit of a knick-knack collector if you couldn’t tell by my Funky & Feminine Room Decor blog post. I love decor that’s eye-catching and that brings me joy. Such as my geometric rhino! I literally bought that in the little girl’s section of Home Goods because let’s be real, kids get the best decor and you can easily incorporate those pieces into your “grown-up” home.
4. Plants are a MUST. I know a lot of people love succulents, but green & earthy tones don’t match my color scheme so I opted for some pink flowers instead. Get your Michael’s 40% off coupon and go get some faux flowers/plants to display on your shelf! They seriously add so much life (faux life) to a shelf and if you add nothing else to your shelf other than books–ADD SOME PLANTS.
5. Okay, you can’t have a shelf without books. I have a lot of novels that don’t look too attractive displayed on a shelf, so I went to Home Goods and got some books that fit my color scheme (they’re meant to be coffee table books anyway). Also, displaying books is the perfect opportunity to get some fun book-ends that also match your color palette! I found those cute dachshund book-ends and, funny story, some lady actually wanted to buy them off of me in the checkout line LOL. Her purse had a dachshund appliqué on it so I get the feeling she was a collector.
OTHER TIPS & TRICKS FOR THE PERFECT SHELF:
- Group objects in threes, give or take one. Don’t know the reason behind it, but…it looks good haha
- Have a color scheme for each object group (or the whole shelf), whether it be neutrals/gold, ice-cream pastels, or black & white. A color scheme = cohesiveness
- Stack some books vertically and some horizontally
- Try to vary the height of the objects that you place next to each other, like books or candles, etc.
- Don’t be afraid to layer objects in front or behind one another, it creates depth
Well, that’s it for the “How to Style Your Shelves” portion of the post! I got some questions on where certain decor pieces were from and honestly, most of it was from Home Goods. BUT, I’ll link what I can below!
1. Faux Flowers // 2. Japanese Kimmidoll // 3. Cloud Candle // 4. Caterrarium Art Print // 5. Floral Bath Art Print // 6. Similar Rose Gold Bunny // 8. Similar Geometric Rhino // 9. Tiffany’s Perfume // 10. Hand Boiler // 11. Blossom Art Print // 12. Ariana Grande Perfume // 13. Kate Spade “Things We Love” Book // 14. Pyropet Cat Candle // 15. Dachshund Book Ends // 16. Sailor Moon Art Print // 17. Crystal Cupcake // 18. Chocolate Sundae Girl Print // 19. Polaroid Camera // 20. Faux Flowers // 21. Toki Doki Unicorns
If the item isn’t linked, then I couldn’t find it anywhere–so sorry!!
Hope you guys enjoyed this post! As always, subscribe to my newsletter if you want to keep updated on my latest articles and good luck designing an amazing shelf! Send me your #shelfie LOL